Dieting: it’s one of the most used words of our society when speaking about weight loss, sport and health. In next several articles I'll try to debunk it as a myth and demystified it. So if you are interested in questions like:
- Why this diet is working and the other one not?
- Why this diet is working for him and not for me?
- I'm on diet but I can't see results. What is wrong?
This articles could be interesting for you.
Is the diet larger than the sum of its parts? I would say: it depends. The best athletes have it, with personal diets and team working on their menu. Some of us devote time - hours per week and days per month in order to have good nutrition. The rest of us just eat what they can find or use a diet from website or magazine. And in most cases this simply doesn't work.
It’s all a personal diet.
Why is important diets to be personal? The reason is very simple and it's the same as for the shoes. Why do you need shoes that match several criteria: size, gender, style etc. So if there isn't a universal and general shoe then is it possible to exists such a diet? I hope that you are convinced a bit in my point.
Why Universal Diet is a Myth
I’ve read about the magic diets, DASH diets, Atkins diets, moon diet etc for almost 15 years and many successful and unsuccessful stories. So I decided it’s perfect time and necessary to revisit the topic - diet - now and then. Especially when I read good articles still spreading universally working diets. So I wanted to inform about pros and cons of dieting.
Here’s the thing — dieting sounds like a perfectly valid concept, simple and yet powerful until you dig a little deeper.
What is a diet?
In nutrition, diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism. The word diet often implies the use of specific intake of nutrition for health or weight-management reasons (with the two often being related). Although humans are omnivores, each culture and each person holds some food preferences or some food taboos. This may be due to personal tastes or ethical reasons. Individual dietary choices may be more or less healthy.
This cames from the Wikipedia page: Diet (nutrition)
So it's all about the consumed food per person. But it's not that simple, isn't it? And now lets have a look on what are the keys of diet:
- Timing - when you are eating. What is the time interval between different meals. This could do a significant difference.
- Food sources - meat, vegetables, fruits etc
- Food quality - is the fresh fruit the same as an old one?
- Quantity - what portion is a good one for a man and for a woman?
- Satisfaction - if you don't like the diet, if you feel it as a torture you will give it up sooner or later.
- Affordability - If you can't afford diet for a month or a year. How you will be able to continue after it?
Why diets are not working
You can find millions of articles on the web and on the pages of bad magazines about working diets and why they work. But do they say why they will not work for you? I guess no. So why diets are not working:
- men and women have different nutritional requirements
- adult needs different diet than a teenager
- most of the diets are unbalanced - and this is a potential health risk in long term
- lack of vitamins and minerals - this essential for our life substances. When you are dieting deficiencies could arise and you may need to take artificial vitamins and minerals in order to help you body
- devil is in the detail - if you eat smaller portion you will need to compensate with slower eating which will improve your digestion
Read more :
Chew Your Food
- planning - diet without planning is like foreigner is foreign country without map and/or navigator. He will be lost.
Check diet navigator: Diet Navigator DASH Diet and weight loss 2018